Saturday 9 November 2013

When his horse died


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


(J.R. Miller, "Help for the Day")

"Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:20-21

There are troubles or misfortunes which have already passed--so why should we vex ourselves over these? We cannot help sorrowing when a loved one has been taken from us--but why should we refuse to acquiesce in the will of God? When some misfortune has taken money from us, or when some turn in affairs has hurt our worldly interests--why should we sit down and grieve over the loss?

Worry will not retrieve it, nor give us back the old favorable conditions! It is a great deal more sensible for us to face the fact of our diminished resources, or to accept the new and changed conditions--adjusting ourselves to them, and go right on with our life.

He was a wise traveler who, when his horse died, said, "Well, I must walk now," and traveled on with cheerful energy.


"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment