Sunday 10 November 2013

Oh happy, happy slave!

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life!" Romans 6:22

I am freed--in order to be enthralled. I am made free from sin--to become the bond-servant of God. But whereas the old vassalage was abject slavery--the new is the highest and sweetest and best liberty.

It is the servitude of my grateful heart. God has redeemed me not with silver and gold, but with the precious blood of Christ His dear Son! I owe Him life and peace and everything. I cannot but surrender myself, to Him who surrendered Himself for me.

It is the servitude of my adoring and worshiping heart. The vision of God's beauty, God's perfection, God's love-worthiness, has thrown its spells and charms over me. I am smitten with the hunger and thirst to resemble Him. I am enthralled to His enchantments.

It is the servitude of my obedient heart. I have bound His precepts and injunctions around me like chains of gold! The yoke of His precepts lies upon my neck. But I do not find these commandments grievous; to keep them is my great reward.

It is the servitude of my God-occupied heart. He has come Himself and made His abode in me, through His Holy Spirit given to me. From within He rules me far more than from without. And so, rejoicingly and inevitably and eternally, I yield myself to Him!

Oh happy, happy slave! There is a perpetual song on his lips as he goes about the tasks of his Golden Prince.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment