Tuesday 19 November 2013

To the uttermost!

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"He is able to save to the uttermost!" Hebrews 7:25

My Lord Jesus Christ is able to save me to the uttermost!

He is able to save me the uttermost depth of my need. Science is now sounding the lowest abysses of the ocean; but there is no science, nor thought, nor imagination, which can send its plummet to the bottom of Christ's unsearchable grace!
Down to my sharpest sorrow He goes,
down to my profoundest loneliness,
down to my keenest temptation,
down to my foulest sin!
He traveled from Heaven to Calvary to atone for my sin; and I know of no descent which He will not make today.

He is able to save me the uttermost limit of my nature. And such a many-faceted nature mine is! The intellect has its demands, and the memory, and the conscience, and the imagination, and the will, and the heart--each of them cries out for a separate satisfaction. And each of them finds it in Jesus!
He answers the questions of my intellect.
He plucksthe deepest sorrows from my memory.
He cancels the accusations of my conscience.
He paints the noblest pictures in my imagination.
He renews and directs my will.
He fills my heart with His love.

He is able to save me to the uttermost verge of my life.
My various conditions and experiences,
my conflict and my calm,
my work and my rest,
my gladness and my grief--
He blesses me through them all. Lo, He is with me all the days, even unto the end, and through the end, and beyond the end forever and ever! Death cannot part me from Him. Eternity will only draw me closer to Him. To the ages of the ages--He is mine, and I am His!

Christ's uttermost leaves me no more to desire!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment