Sunday 10 November 2013

His infinite Majesty--His ineffable Tenderness


~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"Yes, the Sovereign Lord is coming in power. He will rule with a powerful arm . . . He will feed His flock like a shepherd. He will carry the lambs in His arms, holding them close to His heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young." Isaiah 40:10-11

The all-powerful Sovereign Lord--is loving too. I cannot part with His infinite Majesty--and just as little can I lose sight of His ineffable Tenderness.

Our omnipotent God has . . .
measured the waters in the hollow of His hand,
marked off the heavens with the breadth of His hand,
held the dust of the earth in a basket, and
weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance!
All nations are as nothing before Him! Thus . . .
He can prevail against my fiercest temptations;
He can satisfy my profoundest needs;
He can deal with my foulest sins;
He can put to flight my most persistent and remorseless enemies;
He can perfect that which concerns me.
I rejoice in His sovereign omnipotence!

Ah, but also, "He will feed His flock like a shepherd. He will carry the lambs in His arms, holding them close to His heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young." His graciousness is deeper, larger, more patient, more steadfast than a mother's! Thus, His compassions will never fail me. Though I am poor and needy--yet He will think upon me. I am a bruised reed, a flickering candle--but He will not break my frail strength, nor quench my flickering light. I rejoice in His measureless love!

"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that You, O God, are strong, and that You, O Lord, are loving!" Psalm 62:11-12

The Power without the Love, would crush me to the earth.
The Love without the Power, would fail when it sought to deliver me.
I crave both in harmony and union. And He gives me both.
His omnipotence prevails over my impotence; and His gentleness fastens my heart to His.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment