Monday 20 November 2017

God's School!

   ~  ~  ~  ~


(Francis Bourdillon, "Alone with God--Helps to Thought and Prayer, for the Use of the Sick")

"Teach me what I do not see." Job 34:32

I am now especially in the school of God. He has taken me aside to teach me. The whole world is a training place, and all of God's dealings with His redeemed children are to teach and discipline them. But God is giving me more than general teaching now. He has taken me aside from the great school of the world, to speak to me alone--doubtless because I need this special teaching.

It is my earnest desire to learn of God. It is my great wish that this time of severe illness may not be sent to me in vain. Lord, give me a humble and teachable heart. Let no pride or hardness or carelessness of mine--come between me and Your teaching, nor hinder me from receiving the impressions of Your grace.

"Teach me what I do not see." There is much that I do not see.
There is much in the Word of God that has, I am sure, a deeper and more spiritual meaning than I have yet attained to seeing.
I am not fully acquainted with my own heart.
I have but a faint and shallow knowledge of the riches of God's grace in Christ Jesus.

I do not fully see His precise purpose in sending me this present illness. I know that it comes to me for good, and that He takes me aside to teach me--but I would know His gracious will more clearly and distinctly, so that I may learn the very lessons which He is teaching me, and receive the very blessing which He designs for me.

"Teach me what I do not see!" Lord, I turn to You as my teacher. I am blind and ignorant--but You know all. All that it would be for my soul's good to see and know--graciously teach me. Open my heart to understand the Scriptures--may Your Spirit unfold Your Word to me.

Teach me to know myself--let me see myself, not in the light of self-esteem, or in that of the world's opinion, but as I am in Your sight.

Reveal Christ to me more fully. Let me know more of His unsearchable riches. Cause my heart to be more deeply affected with His dying love, and teach me to clearly see the infinite value of His great atonement.

Whatever special fault You mean to correct by this chastisement--enlighten my conscience to see it.

Whatever in my way of life You would have me to change, as contrary to Your will--oh, show it to me now for Your mercy's sake.

"Teach me." I might read books, or I might ask man's advice. I do not disregard either. But now, O my God, that You have taken me thus aside--now I turn to You as my teacher. Who teaches like You? Oh, teach me now--teach me by Your Spirit--teach me Yourself.

Teach me, as You alone can teach--in my heart. Let me not only understand Your holy will--but experience it and follow it. Let me not only have an insight into Your truth and Your dealings--but let me receive a deep and lasting experience of Your grace, and may my every thought be brought into subjection to You.

Teach me by whatever means You may see good to use. I do not ask so much that this time of trial may be shortened, and that Your chastening hand may be removed--as that I may receive all the blessings of such a time, and profit fully by Your chastening.

Lord, I would not choose--choose for me. Order all for me. Keep all in Your own gracious hand. Deal with me after Your own wisdom and love. Only "Teach me what I do not see"--yes, all that I ought to see and know for my soul's health. By Your dealings, by Your Word, by Your Spirit--graciously teach me!
   ~  ~  ~  ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment