Tuesday 12 April 2011

To King's Addition Baptist Church, and Supporters of Canadian Missions,


Dear Brethren,
Sending this report a little later than usual. My apologies.

As the temperatures start to soar into the 'sweltering 40's(5c)', and the snow begins melting, it's a dramatic change, but there remain some constants in the work.

The main one is that God is still in control, and has His hand on this work.

(The CEO of Fedex made a statement when asked what the secret of success was for Fedex, he said "I'll tell you what the secret of success is, not just for Fedex, but for success in general". He said, " the main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing".)

God is in control.

Satan is still doing his best(or is it his worst)to hinder our efforts, and has 'ramped it up a notch' in his attacks on families, ours included, and not just here in Smith, but worldwide.

Another constant is that God answers prayers. We have on our regular prayer list a prayer for 'services, and for visitors', and as we had a new visitor for services yesterday morning, it hit me that we have had a visitor for every Sunday morning service during the month of March. Mainly Doctors and medical staff from the medical centre here in town, but we have also had a regular visitor on Wednesday nights for the past month.

His name is Chris Dahlberg, and he is incarcerated at the correctional facility across the road from the Mission house. He is due for release on May 20.
I have his permission to relate these details to you.

I first met Chris a couple of months back when I was in the grocery store in town. As I went to the dairy section to pick up some milk, there were two young men stocking the shelves, and I couldn't help overhearing their conversation.
One of them(I would meet him later, Chris) was espousing some very deep doctrinal truth to the other young man, and this fellow was disputing it vehemently, obviously without any real knowledge of the subject.

As I moved past them, I stopped and caught the young man's eye, and he stopped talking and looked at me, rather stunned. I gave him a big smile, and the 'thumbs up', and he smiled back, nodded his head and kept talking.(he later shared with me that he was afraid he may have offended me)

I was extremely encouraged to hear someone speaking openly about our Lord and Saviour. After some more shopping, I noticed that he was now on his own, so I went up to him to introduce myself, and asked him if he knew the Lord Jesus Christ as his Saviour, and he answered, "I most certainly do!"

We talked briefly, and he told me that he is an inmate at the correctional centre here in town, and that he attends services at one of the ''churches" here. He has trust release to work in the store, and to attend services.

I looked forward to having brief chats with him when I went to the store, and I saw a real spirit in him, and his genuine love of the Lord.
He always had questions when we spoke, and fortunately, I have a book that's full of answers.

Then, after several weeks, he said that he had been told some things about us(the Mission) and wanted to know if they were true. I appreciated his forthrightness. So many people will ask questions of everyone except the one that has the answers. I've dealt with that for over two years concerning the Mission. It's very frustrating!

He was told that we all wear funny hats and chant incessantly, and asked if that was true. I answered "Yes, and if you come around at midnight you'll find us sacrificing goats, and dancing around the fire!".

I looked him straight in the eyes, and said,"listen mate, here is my answer to all ignorance concerning King's addition Baptist Mission.......come to services, and see for yourself!".

He decided that he could make it on Wednesday evening. The following Wednesday he turned up early. We have services at 8:00pm, and he came at 6:45, so we had opportunity to fellowship and share testimonies. I won't go into it now, but someday you need to hear his testimony.

I try to keep these reports brief, but sometimes you need to hear the whole details of a situation, and this is one of those times.

He has attended every Wednesday night since. He has a wealth of Biblical knowledge, and a lot of questions. I ASSURE YOU THAT I AM GETTING TO THE POINT.

Last Sunday after services, I was driving downtown, and saw Chris walking along the sidewalk, assuming he was walking back to the correctional centre, on his way from services.
I stopped and rolled down the window, and he said that he wasn't allowed to accept lifts, and I said that was OK, that I just wanted to say Hi.

He leaned on the door, and said exasperatingly, "Gordon, I want to know what's going on!", and I asked what do you mean, and he said, "I walked out this morning, and looked across the road at the Baptist Church,(we are diagnolly opposite the correctional facility) and said to myself, I need to be going to services there, and I almost did, except I would land in trouble if I wasn't where my release allows me".

He said,''When I leave your services, my soul feels light and refreshed, I don't get that anywhere else......why is that?". It was difficult for me to speak with the lump in my throat, but I quoted him John 17:17 "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth".

I said, "Mate, I have been called by God to preach the truth of His word and nothing less, and we have prayed for you at the Mission that you would hear that truth. You obviously have, and that is what the difference is. The Bible says that the truth will set you free, and it does."

Chris asked if it would be alright if he had his release changed so that he could attend services with us. Later in the afternoon I had a call from him, and he said that he had not known us long, but that he would be sad, and miss us when he has to leave Fort Smith in May.

We have discussed Chris helping in setting up a bible study when he moves back to Edmonton, and he is more than willing, and eager to help in whatever way he can.

How about that constant. The Word of God. It's ability to change lives. The comfort it brings. The guidance it gives. The undiluted truth of it.

Please pray for Chris as he seeks a better life for himself, and seeks to serve our Lord and Saviour in his life, and pray for us as we seek to minister to the needs of this community, and beyond. We can make a difference if we serve Him in unity.

May we never lose focus of the Great Commission. (Matthew 28:16-20)

The Lord has priviliged me with bringing so many wonderful relationships into my life. Relationships that are given a sweetness, richness, and an 'aging' through our mutual love of the Lord Jesus Christ.

With all the trials and tribulations that we go through in this life, I am so thankful for the constants that God gives us to rely on, lean on, when we need to. I pray that you are thankful too.

May the Lord bless us all as we seek to surrender, and be obedient to Him.

God is in control.

"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." Proverbs 21:1.


In His Love
Bro. Gordon Wiegold

KABM, Fort Smith
Northwest Territories, Canada
Ph: 867 872-2418

No comments:

Post a Comment