Saturday 23 April 2011

My nature is the same as in the harlot, the drunkard, the murderer!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(James Smith, "MARY; Or, The Power of Penitence" 1856)

"If this man were a prophet, He would know who is touching Him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner!" Luke 7:39

This woman was a sinner--an open sinner. One who had violated the laws of decency, as well as the law of God. She is condemned and despised. Many are more ready to condemn--than to pity; to despise--than to endeavor to reclaim.

We forget when we look at the profane--that we have the same seeds of profanity in our hearts! We forget that evil human nature is essentially the same in all. We forget that education, circumstances, providence, or the grace of God--make the only difference between us and the vilest man that ever lived!

We are all one man's sons. We were hewn out of the same rock--we were dug out of the same pit. My nature is the same as in the harlot, the drunkard, the murderer; and if left to myself--I would have been as depraved as they are! Humbling consideration this!

While I condemn sin--let me ever pity the sinner. While I mourn over the fallen--let me ask the question so well put by the apostle, "For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have--that you did not receive?" 1 Corinthians 4:7.

Am I vile? Let me take the blame and the shame to myself.
Am I saved and holy? Let sovereign grace have all the glory and praise!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment