Friday 7 April 2017

Return unto your rest, O my soul!

   ~  ~  ~  ~

      
(Edward Griffin, 1770-1837)

"Return unto your rest, O my soul--for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you." Psalm 116:7

To rest in God, is  . . .
  to be satisfied with Him as our portion,
  to take Him for our supreme good, and
  to feel that we have enough and abound while possessing Him--though everything else is taken away.

"Give me," says the believer, "the enjoyment of my God--and I desire no more. Allow me to feast on heavenly truth--and I shall never complain that I am poor. Let worldlings divide the globe among themselves--let emmets contend for this little heap of dust; I have God--and I ask no more. Come wars and pestilence, come poverty and death--you cannot rob me of my portion."

Must it not be substantial rest . . .
  to have the infinite God for a portion,
  to have all the restless desires of the mind composed,
  to feel no anxious apprehension for the future,
  to know that if everything which time or death can destroy, were removed--the whole of one's portion would remain;
  to feel that nothing can injure, nothing impoverish, nothing perplex or disturb?

Ah, give me this portion--instead of thrones and kingdoms!

"Whom have I in Heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!" Psalm 73:25-26
   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment