Monday 20 June 2011

The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross-34

"I thirst"

3. Here we see our Lord’s deep reverence for the scriptures.

How constantly the Saviour’s mind turned toward the sacred oracles! He lived indeed by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. He was the "Blessed Man" that meditated in God’s law "day and night" (Ps. 1). The written word was that which formed his thoughts, filled his heart, and regulated his ways. The scriptures are the transcript of the Father’s will, and that was ever his delight. In the temptation that which was written was his defence. In his teaching the statutes of the Lord were his authority. In his controversies with the scribes and Pharisees, his appeal was ever to the law and the testimony. And now, in his death-hour his mind dwelt upon the word of truth.

In order to get the primary force of this fifth cross-utterance of the Saviour we must note its setting: "Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst" (John 19:28). The reference is to Psalm 69 - another of the Messianic psalms which describes so graphically his passion. In it the spirit of prophecy had declared, "They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink" (v. 21). This remained yet unaccomplished. The predictions of the previous verses had already received fulfillment. He had sunk in the "deep mire" (v. 2); he had been "hated without a cause" (v. 4); he had "borne reproach and shame" (v. 7); he had "become a stranger unto his brethren" (v. 8); he had become "a proverb" to his revilers, and "the song of the drunkards" (vv. 11, 12); he had "cried unto God" in his distress (vv. 17-20) - and now there remained nothing more than the offering him the drink of vinegar and gall, and in order to fulfill this he cried "I thirst".

"Jesus knowing that ALL things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst." How completely self-possessed the Saviour was! He had hung on that cross for six hours and had passed through unparalleled suffering, yet is his mind clear and his memory unimpaired. He had before him, with perfect distinctness, the whole truth of God. He reviewed the entire scope of Messianic prediction. He remembers there is one prophetic scripture unaccomplished. He overlooked nothing. What a proof is this that he was divinely superior to all circumstances!

Ere passing on we would briefly point an application to ourselves. We have remarked how the Saviour bowed to the authority of scripture both in life and death; Christian reader, how is it with thee? Is the book divine the final court of appeal with you? Do you discover in it a revelation of God’s mind and will concerning you? Is it a lamp unto your feet? That is, are you walking in its light? Are its commands binding on you?

Are you really obeying it? Can you say with David, "I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me. I have stuck unto thy testimonies... I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies. I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments" (Ps. 119:30,31,59,60)? Are you, like the Saviour, anxious to fulfill the scriptures? O may writer and reader seek grace to pray from the heart, "Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies... Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me" (Ps. 119:35, 36, 133).

No comments:

Post a Comment