Saturday 18 June 2011

Rachel Fulton in Thailand-3

This day was probably longer than it needed to be. After an infuriating battle with the lights that won’t go off in my hotel room, I finally have time to e-mail. By the way, I found the light switch in a drawer. Welcome to Thailand .

Today was busy and full, but the part I want to talk about the most is the Children’s Home.

If there is ever a need to pray about, it’s this one.

If there is ever an e-mail to forward, it’s this one.

In 1997 Bro. Lee and his church established the Children’s Home here in Thailand . It’s basically an orphanage. The children are fed, clothed, sent to school, etc. Thirty-two children occupy the home at this time.

On the way over here, I asked Bro. Lee what the biggest need was at the Children’s Home. His response: school uniforms and “something to play with…toys.” Toys. My mind immediately darted back to the US where there’s a Toys-R-Us, Babies-R-Us, Gymboree, Baby Gap and Disney Store. All of which these children have never seen, and probably never will.

Two things I’ve learned the Thai people don’t value: animals (except ones for meat) and children. Actually, the children can be likened to stray dogs. They wander the streets and people feed them, but no one gives them a home. No baby showers are given before their arrival, no pack-n-plays or grow-with-you cribs, and I have yet to see a stroller. The children at the Children’s Home primarily are from the villages where churchs are established.

A few days ago I learned that the children only had one towel each. One towel. A few weeks ago I was “complaining” to a friend because none of my towels match, and I would like a matching set. What a fool I am. I’m embarrassed to admit that now. I got with Bro. Anond today, exchanged more money, and had him take me somewhere I could buy more towels. I purchased thirty-two towels and four bath mats. Blue towels for boys, pink and orange for girls. At the register (which, by the way, was an utter disaster for me…I can barely do math with US money, much less foreign currency) Rebekah asked if she could split it with me. I agreed, and she and I bought towels for the children.

We brought them dinner tonight; pizza. Do you know how often they get pizza? Once a year, when this team comes. I don’t know about you, but pizza is a very common occurrence among my friends and family. The children mainly eat rice. How do they get the rice? They work in the rice fields. Again, welcome to Thailand . It’s what they do.

When we arrived at the children’s home there were chairs lined up for us and the children were sitting at the tables, waiting. They wanted to do something “special”. I recorded them singing hymns in Lahu. I’ll upload if I can figure out this bloomin’ peace of technology. Not only that, but they gave us flowers. When I say flowers, I mean each child picked, put together, and handed us a bouquet. Some were small, some were large. Yes, I got thirty-two bouquets of flowers tonight. You can imagine the tears that splashed all over them. We’re taking them all to the church in Pa Sak tomorrow, so they can enjoy them as well. No way could they live in this hotel room. Never in my life have I seen gratefulness the way it’s been expressed from these people. I’m typing this through tears now, and I’m sure my roommate wonders what in the world is wrong with me.

I played soccer (so-to-speak) some with the kids. They just like having “someone to play with.” Amazing.

I have pictures. You can see the towels we bought, the pizza, flowers, etc. But let me explain about the beds. During all the commotion Bro. Lee looked at me and said “let’s take a walk”. I toured the whole “campus” with him. The dorm you see is the boys (of COURSE my battery died during this trip, so pics are limited) and it’s just like the girls. They wanted to make beds for the children, but they aren’t used to beds. The wooden “cots” with super-thin mats are what they wanted. And they wanted to be close to one another. They’re all they have. Everything you see on that bed (and a few items under it) are what they own. There’s no air conditioning. This is their home. When they say “I’m going home” this is what they come home to. And this is better than what they’ve come from.

Just to explain a few pics: there’s random shots of the play areas, the picture of mud with what looks like a chicken coop is where they raise pigs, the toilets are self-explanatory, and the place with the big bowls is the kitchen. The little red balls on a string? Onions.

Anyway. That’s all about that for now.

Thanks again for listening to my ramblings.

We're going to Pa Sak tomorrow. The terrain is rough and the people very sick. Bro. Lee will preach a Sunday Service, and then we'll "do medicine". This is our first trip into the jungles of Thailand.

Much love,

Rachel.

PS- thank you all for the encouraging e-mails. I had no idea these e-mails were reaching so many people beyond my contact list.

Mom and Dad- for heaven’s sake, stop worrying. You think I can’t tell it in your voice, but I can. This is where the Lord has sent me. This is what I love. I’m in good hands. The education you helped pay for is what is helping these people today.



To see the pictures, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment