Thursday 16 June 2011

Rachel Fulton in Thailand

"As cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25


Good morning! It's very beautiful here on this Thursday in Thailand. I regret to say that my internet will not work on my laptop so I squeezed in at a computer in the lobby. I paid 300 baht for this :-) I already have pictures, just of the city, and very much want to share them. Perhaps I can figure out things later.

The plane ride went well. I had a lot of time to myself, my thoughts, and my God. When we landed in Bangkok Bro. Lee asked how I was. I said "That was the best time I've had in ages". It really was relaxing. He then gave me a look that confirmed what he was thinking: A total nut-case had followed him to Thailand.

The Lord wasted no time in "using me". The men I was sandwiched between were quite crude. I heard the f-word more times to count before I had even stowed my carry-on away. Toward the end of the flight, the man to the right of me asked why I was going to Thailand. I told him. Several hours later he said "I have some questions, since you're religious..." I ended up witnessing to him. We talked for many, many hours. He's an editor for some bit-time TV shows out in LA. Hopefully a seed a was planted. He will give the increase.

I slept through take off, the flight, and almost the bumpy landing on our flight from Bangkok to Shangmai. Bro. Anond and the Pharmacist, Ricky, met us at the airport. Precious men. Very sweet. We all get along quite well, including my roommate, Rebekah, and I. She's young and spunky, and we share the same sense of humor. Bro. Lee might not know what to do with us. We all seem to be fun, light-hearted people.

The city is crowded. It smells. I can't describe the smell, and you probobly wouldn't want me to. Bro. Lee has his priorities in line...there's a Starbuck's next to our hotel. I'll have to get over flies and lizards while we dine. There's one shop after another here. Open and ready for business. I have pictures of the streets at night. It comes alive during the "night bizarre". It's beautiful in it's own way. I'm not good at haggling.

The "lanes" here mean absolutely nothing. There are no stoplights and no speed limits. Might I also add, there are no seatbelts in the vehicles.

The people here are very kind and gentle. Not rude and impatient like in America. It's rather refreshing.

There's so much to take in and process....I wish I had enough words to describe what I've already experienced. To say "you need to be here" won't suffice, but really, you need to be here.

Today we head out to Bethany Baptist Church. Mrs. Lee asked Bro. Anond who would be there. A total of four church's will actually be coming. When asked how many we would "do medicine" on, Bro. Anond said "a hundred...maybe more." We have a full day ahead. As you wind down your wednesday (and wake up on Thursday) remember us in prayer.

Mom- don't worry about anything. We're safe and I love the group. Let Memaw read my e-mails. And tell her I love her.
Dad- please help me fix my internet. I'll e-mail you tonight if I can about what's going on.
Michael- you were right. The streets aren't clean like in America. You would love the food here.
Dale- praying for you all as camp begins next week.
Karen- remember how you said you would be impressed if I wore make-up out here? Be impressed.

I love you all dearly. This is a most humbling experience.

-Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment