Friday 24 June 2011

Rachel Fulton in Thailand-5

MERCY! I never knew so many people would be getting my e-mails… I’m not sure what to think. Every day I open my hotmail and there are replies from people I’ve never met or heard of… I can see in several places the Lord is using it for His glory.
I was not up to par today (yes, mom and dad, I know I talked to you this morning…but thirty minutes after we hung up I was a goner.) and had to miss out on the days events. I suppose if it were to happen, today was the best day. It was Ricky’s last day with us. I was sure sad to see our pharmacist leave. It was a “free day” since he had to go to the airport this afternoon. Anyway, I stayed in bed with my “office” scattered around me. Did some Bible study, some lesson plans (for CAMP, Bro. Dale), read my Nook, and e-mailed various thoughts to someone who I’m sure is sick of me.
I say all that, to say I had a long day to think. I was thankful I had this time to myself, as I was worried I wouldn’t get too much time to reflect…I’m someone who has to process things. Well, I suppose the 17hr flight would have been sufficient time…
We have three more villages to go to, but here’s a synopsis:
I want you to know, that, although I’ve referred to the villages and people as “poor” (and they are in some cases and by some standards) I’ve never felt like I was here just helping the poor. Never. I feel like it is truly a privilege and an honor to serve God’s people.
The past few weeks I’ve caught myself thinking “these people aren’t poor…they’re happier and less stressed than I am!” We have some things backwards here in the States, or at least I do.
The churches….the churches. My eyes are blurring with tears on this one. The churches here can’t wait to congregate, to worship, to fellowship. My mind darted back to the States where we have trouble getting the pews full on Sunday, much less Sunday night…or Wednesday night. Some of the young men who say they are called to teach and preach are less than faithful or are failing to step up and be men of God. And that’s an absolute shame. To those who are, may God bless you tenfold.
I feel like so many churches have reduced to gimmicks and games, and for those who haven’t…well, heaven forbid a big football game is on, or it rains, or anything small happens that will keep people away…because it will keep people away. I’m not lecturing, as I’ve been guilty in the past as well. But I know the hurt it causes the pastors, the other members, the ones who are faithful. To the pastors in the States who get my e-mails, especially you Dad, who no doubt have times of discouragement, know I love you. Your faithfulness is not unnoticed, and your reward will be great. I hope and pray, though, that the Lord leads you to the happiness and JOY you deserve. Thank you for your service.
The sweet people we’ve served here have nothing but each other and their God to depend on. How often are we taught to “have a nest egg”, “save for retirement”, “get the best job”, etc…How about living in God’s economy? And what exactly would that mean for us (me)? I’ve been pretty hard on a dear friend of mine the past few weeks about this… we’ve bantered back and forth on this very issue. You know who you are…and you were right, and I was wrong. Thank you for being patient with me. I suppose if God had to drag me to Thailand to teach me this lesson, then that’s exactly what needed to happen. Thank you for loving me through it.
I know my e-mails have been colorful and detailed…but in all seriousness, it boils down to two things:
1.. These “people” are our brothers and sisters in Christ.
2 .These brothers and sisters are not poor. They are rich in the Kingdom of God . They know this. They rely on this. They live it out. They have it right.
My heart sinks when I think about leaving. As Bro. Lee put it, it’s really something to imagine the little Baptist churches scattered through these mountains. God is faithful to those He died for.
I’ve had the time of my life.
Love,
Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment