Wednesday 11 September 2013

God Focused Prayer


From the Pastor:  Dr. M. J. Seymour, Sr.
 
“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel” (Eph. 6:18-19)   
Jesus in prayer to the Father on behalf of those given to Him said: “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.” (Jn. 17:16)  Now, if we can believe Jesus, the saints are not of this world.  If this be true then why are so many prayers from the believer focused and filled with earthly desires?  All prayers of the saints concerning all things ought to be directed to the God of Heaven not the god of this world.  The distinction is in the character of the prayer.  King David prayed: “Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.” (Ps. 5:2)  There are four things that are a must in Godward prayer: 1- Prayer direction and attitude; 2- preparation; 3- perseverance; 4- purpose. 
One’s attitude has much to do with the route prayer takes.  “My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.” (Ps. 5:3)  Notice the humbled reverence, which comes with an awestruck relationship with the Father.  Pray always, yes, but pray dignifying God. 
Preparation for the encounter with pure holiness requires a clean heart engulfed within the Holy Spirit.  This world and all that is in it is absolute filthiness fit for the dung hill and not for bended the knees of prayer.  Nothing of this world has an audience with God. 
“The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (James 5:16)  Any prayer of value demands perseverance.  The force of legitimate and holy persistence is beyond measure with God.
The ultimate “Why?” of prayer is crucial.  As with Paul the purpose must be “to make known the mystery of the gospel.”  The supreme focus of pray must be to magnify Christ and the Gospel.     

No comments:

Post a Comment