Tuesday 27 January 2015

I find afflictions to be good for me!

   ~ ~ ~ ~

(Letters of Joseph Williams, 1822)

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn Your decrees." Psalm 119:71

I find afflictions to be good for me. I have always found them so. Afflictions are happy means in the hands of the Holy Spirit to subdue . . .
my corruptions,
my pride,
my evil passions, and
my inordinate love to the creature.

Afflictions . . .
soften my hard heart,
bring me to my knees,
increase faith,
increase love,
increase humility,
increase self-denial.
Afflictions make me poor in spirit, and nothing in my own eyes!

"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey Your Word." Psalm 119:67

"I know, O LORD, that in faithfulness You have afflicted me." Psalm 119:75
~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment