Friday 3 May 2013

Sickness is a greater mercy!


  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~



(Letters of John Newton)

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes." Psalm 119:71

Health is a blessing and a great mercy, enabling us to relish the comforts of life, and to be useful in our generation. But sickness is a greater mercy to the children of God; for it shall be sanctified . . .
  to wean us more from the present world,
  to raise our thoughts and desires heavenward,
  to quicken us to prayer, and
  to give us more opportunity of knowing the sweetness and suitableness of the promises, and the power and wisdom of a promise-performing God!

Troubles have many uses--when the Lord is pleased to work by them for the good of His children. They are necessary, because we would miss the meaning and comfort of a great part of the Bible without them! I hope the Lord blesses you both with a measure of submission to His will, confidence in His love--and then, with respect to other things you will say, All is well!

"Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." Psalm 119:67

"I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." Psalm 119:75

    ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment