Wednesday 17 August 2011

Romans 15:30-33

A Study of The Book of Romans

Lesson 114 Chapter 15:30 – 33

By Pastor Randy Johnson

  1. Verse 30 “Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;”
    1. Paul is inviting the membership of this church to pray with him; he has a long journey ahead and coveted their prayers.

a. There is nothing greater in a Christian’s life on this earth than prayer; to a Christians it is as needful as food and water and as necessary as air to breath.

b. When someone ask you to pray for or with them always take it as strongly as any other request they have ever had.

c. Paul understands the dangers ahead for him and he needs prayer warriors.

    1. “…for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit…”

a. That is in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ because prayer is not heard unless it is through Christ Jesus name. John 14:13 - 14 "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (14.) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

b. We do everything in the name of Christ Jesus; We are hated in His name; Matthew 10:22 "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." – We receive each other in His name; Matthew 18:5 “And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.” – We worship in His name; Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." – We forsake the world in His name; Matthew 19:29 "And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." – We should be willing to die in His name; Matthew 24:9 "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake." – Teachers teach in His name; John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

c. The bottom line is Christ name is to be involved in everything we do.

    1. “…that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;”

a. The word “strive” means - to struggle in company with, that is, (figuratively) to be a partner with – It can also be seen as a fellow-combatant or as a fellow warrior.

b. 2 Corinthians 1:11 "Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf."

c. Praying for one another is being a prayer warrior with the one you are praying with.

  1. Verse 31 “That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints;”
    1. Two words here to look at;

a. “That I may be delivered…” the word delivered means – To be rescued from danger or that I may be dragged out of danger.

b. Disobeying – “…from them that do not believe in Judaea…” those that believe not are “disobeying” are those who refuse to believe the gospel. Not that it is a choice; but that people will be charged for not believing.

c. It is these people (non-Christian’s) that Paul need to be delivered from.

    1. Paul asked their prayers consist of three things;

a. Pray for his safety.

b. To pray that the church at Jerusalem would accept the Gentile gifts.

c. That he could stop over at Rome on his way to Spain.

    1. If Gods people chose to help another, it would be an insult to God to refuse the help; it would be robbing another Christian or church of a blessing to refuse help or even a gift, even if you think you may not need it.
    2. This is the only way Paul would consider it the will of God “That I may come unto you with joy…” verse 32 – However the will of God is not always joy to the Christian but if we look at it as the will of God then it should bring joy to our hearts; even if we get to Rome as a prisoner. Acts 28:20 “For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.”
    3. Verse 33 “Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.” – what a wonderful closing; we do have peace with God in Christ Jesus and out side of that nothing else matters.

a. Romans 8:15 “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”

b. Colossians 1:20 "And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven."

c. John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

d. Peace in Christ is the greatest thing for the believer; the lost have no peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment