Wednesday 3 August 2011

Romans 15:23-26

A Study of The Book of Romans

Lesson 112 Chapter 15:23 – 26

By Pastor Randy Johnson

  1. Verse 23 "But now having no more place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come unto you;"
    1. In our last lesson we learned that Paul desired to visit some virgin territory; that is where the gospel of Jesus Christ had not been taught. Verse 20 “Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:”
    2. Paul now states that “But now having no more place in these parts…” not that he did not desire to remain there but he moved as the Holy Spirit moved him and he knew it was time to move on to another place; a place where the gospel is needed to be preached. Acts 9:15 "But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:"

a. Nothing could stop him persecution, no other danger could veer him off course of what God wanted him to go and do, not even his own personal desires. Acts 9:16 "For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake."

b. Ministries are not without problems and Paul’s sure wasn’t; but the Lord gives His men the ability to overcome, even personal desires.

c. His ministry had one goal; to preach the gospel. Philippians 3:13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, (14.) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

d. Most of the time Christians; church members never know what a Pastor or a minister goes through as a battle in their own heart; in the flesh because we all know we have a calling of God to go and do as He pleases and this is the way it was with Paul.

e. We all must keep this one thought in mind; while we (as Pastors and Ministers) may not be free to do as we please all the time our reward will be in time. Romans 8:18 “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”

  1. Verse 24 “Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company.”
    1. “Whensoever I take my journey into Spain…” many if almost all say that Paul never made the trip to Spain; however whether he did or not it was his intensions but we all know we move, live, and have our being by Gods grace so if he did not make it then that was Gods will for him. However some believe he did because of what he said in 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:"
    2. “…I will come to you…” on his way to Spain we wanted to visit this church; but it is also believed he did not do that also but rather landed in house arrest instead never getting to visit this church. Acts 28:17-22 "And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them, Men and brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people, or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans. (18.) Who, when they had examined me, would have let me go, because there was no cause of death in me. (19.) But when the Jews spake against it, I was constrained to appeal unto Caesar; not that I had ought to accuse my nation of. (20.) For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain. (21.) And they said unto him, We neither received letters out of Judaea concerning thee, neither any of the brethren that came shewed or spake any harm of thee. (22.) But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against."
  2. Verse 25 “But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.” All of this stuff about Spain was a plan; his visit to Rome was a plan his first area of work was in Jerusalem.
    1. While Paul was indefinite about exactly when he would visit Rome he was on his way to Jerusalem from Corinth from where he had most likely written this letter; he had been in that city for about three months. Acts 20:2-3 "And when he had gone over those parts, and had given them much exhortation, he came into Greece, (3.) And there abode three months. And when the Jews laid wait for him, as he was about to sail into Syria, he purposed to return through Macedonia."
    2. Verse 26 “"For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem." – This area contained churches such as Philippi, Thessalonica, and Corinth. And it is believe Paul was going to visit all these churches or places in his trip. Acts 19:21 “After these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, After I have been there, I must also see Rome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment