Monday 23 October 2017

In that moment we would fall into mischief and misery, if not into Hell!

   ~  ~  ~  ~


(James Smith, "The Evening Sacrifice; Or, A Help to Devotion" 1859)

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep--seek Your servant" Psalm 119:176

However far the Lord's people may wander from Him, they cannot forget His word or His gracious dealings with them. They remember the years of His leading and sustaining.

Like sheep--every one of us have a propensity to wander. We need keeping every moment. If it were possible for the Lord to take His eyes off of us but for one moment--in that moment we would fall into mischief and misery, if not into Hell. But the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry.

My soul, have you wandered from the Lord? Have you wandered from the green pastures of His Word? Have you wandered from the Church, which is His fold? Have you wandered from His throne of grace--or from His nail-pierced side? If so,
  your graces will wither,
  your comforts will die, and
  your profession will become a mere form.

Cry to the great Shepherd, cry mightily to Jesus, "Seek Your servant!" Blessed be His holy name--He will go out into the wilderness in search of every one of His lost sheep--and He will never return until He finds and restores it.

Jesus, Shepherd of my soul--seek me, and bring me back from all my wanderings. Let me feed and be bound with Your flock. Let me hear Your sweet voice calling me by name, and leading me home. May I never enjoy rest, but at Your side; nor feel at home, but with Your flock and family.

Tonight, O Savior, draw me near to Yourself. Soothe my perturbed spirit with the communications of Your grace and truth--and let me lie down conscious of my saving interest in You, of Your love to me, and of my safety through You. Nearer to You, O Jesus--draw me still nearer to You!

"My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish--ever! No one can snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28
   ~  ~  ~  ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment