Monday 8 July 2013

I Myself will help you!

  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~


(George Mylne, "Fear Not!" 1854)

" For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 41:13-14

What is more helpless than a child without its mother's hand! Reader, what is more helpless than you without Christ! You can neither stand nor walk alone; but "God, who takes hold of your right hand, says to you: Do not fear; I will help you!"

He will help you . . .
  against sin;
  against Satan;
  against the world;
  against your own evil heart.

He will help you . . .
  when you are weary;
  when you are downcast;
  in the time of trial; and
  in the hour of temptation.

He will help you to understand;
He will help you to pray;
He will help you to fight;
He will help you to avoid the snares;
He will help you to despise the vanities of this poor world.
Ah, my fellow-sinner, this help is promised, because you need it all.

What a world of temptation, sin, and danger--what a world of darkness and confusion you live in! There is none to help you--none to teach you--none to lead you on your way--but Jehovah Jesus. Do not be afraid! He will hold you by the right hand, saying, "I will help you!"

Do you say, "The way is long--and I am weary. The road is dark--and I have no light. Temptations are many--how shall I resist them? I need grace--where can I find it? Oh, how shall I persevere?"

Afflicted soul! Is there no Helper? Is there none to pity? Is there none to guide? Where is your heavenly Father? Where is Jesus? Where is the Comforter? Where is He who feeds His flock like a Shepherd; who gathers His lambs in His arms, and carries them close to His heart? (Isaiah 40:11.) Where is He who has promised to hold you by the right hand, saying, "Do not be afraid--I will help you!"

Lift up your eyes to the hills, from whence comes your help. Your help comes from the Lord, who made Heaven and earth. Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God. Fear not! (Psalm 121, Psalm 146:5)

     ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment