Thursday 6 June 2013

Truly, this is a most painful thought to us

  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~


(Maria Sandberg, "Glimpses of Heaven!" 1880)

"And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus. For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy. And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments." Revelation 16:5-7

There are, in this book of Revelation, not only glimpses of Heaven, and of the happiness of the redeemed--but dreadful views of the punishments of Hell: "And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory. And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds." Revelation 16:9-11. "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

It must be a painful thought to the people of God, that so many of their fellow-creatures are everlastingly banished from the presence of the Lord, and that so many others are following on in the broad road that leads to eternal destruction! Perhaps among both the former and the latter, are some dear to us by the ties of kindred or friendship. Truly, this is a most painful thought to us in this present world--but it will not be so in Heaven. For we shall have such a sense of the justice of God in the punishment of the wicked, that we shall acquiesce in their sentence of condemnation, and say, "Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments." They are worthy of everlasting damnation!

Oh, my soul, what can I render to my Savior who has delivered my soul from the nethermost Hell? Surely, but for His blood shed for me, I could never have had an entrance into His everlasting kingdom! Let me, then, first learn a lesson of deep humility, of ceasing from vain-glory, and thoughts of my own worthiness. Let me say, "O to grace how great a debtor!"

Then let me learn a lesson of submission to the righteous will of God in His dealings with mankind. What I do not know now--I shall know hereafter; and then shall I be constrained to say, "Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments."

     ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment