Monday 5 November 2012

My creed

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

The following in an excerpt from the diary of James Smith:

March 12, 1854.
In a variety of ways, I hear that the Lord is using me; blessed be His holy name for this. He never used a more unworthy instrument! May it bring glory to His free and sovereign grace! My eyes are up unto the Lord, and all my expectation is from Him. He is all my salvation--and all my desire.

I learn daily more of the depravity of my own heart--and consequently see more and more of the necessity of Christ's free, full, and complete salvation. Jesus must save me. I have no merit, but His; no righteousness, but His; no name to plead before God, but His!
His blood must cleanse me,
His obedience must clothe me,
His Spirit must purify me,
His Word must direct me, and
His grace must qualify me for the enjoyment of the inheritance of the saints in light.

My creed is:
Jesus all--self nothing!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment