Thursday 17 December 2015

My child, which will you have?

   ~  ~  ~  ~
 
    (Archibald Brown, "
Christ's Own Joy, is Our Joy!")

O, beloved, I wish that we knew more of the joy of perfect and complete surrender to God. It is our will clashing with our Father's will, which makes us fretful. If only our will were one with His--it would be utterly impossible for us to ever be anything else than serene, calm and happy. Within our soul would dwell a depth of calm contentedness. Having no choice of our own, the soul would find equal joy in all. The "Nevertheless, not My will--but may Your will be done!" would prove perpetual music in the heart.

A soul thus surrendered, could make no choice if it were offered. If the Lord were to say, "My child, which will you have: health or sickness; a long life--or one snapped in two like a broken column; wealth--or poverty?" The soul would answer, "Father, I cannot say, because I do not know Your will. Tell me Your will, and I will tell You my choice, for my soul is Yours, as well as all else. I refer the case back again to You, my Father, and cry:
I dare not choose my lot,
  I would not, if I might!
But You choose for me, O my God,
  So shall I walk aright."

I know that this is a high standard to attain, and as I speak, I feel I am condemning myself in every other word. But shall we ignore a thing because it is above us? No, let us aim high, even if we do not reach the mark; for though our arrow falls short of the target, it will fly higher than if aimed at a lower object.
  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment