Tuesday 16 September 2014

Trust Him for Everything



D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
I once heard a man use a phrase which affected me very deeply
at the time, and still does. I am not sure that it is not one of the
most searching statements I have ever heard. He said that the 
trouble with many of us Christians is that we believe in the Lord
Jesus Christ, but that we do not believe Him. He meant that we 
believe on Him for the salvation of our souls, but we do not believe
Him when He says a thing like this to us, that God is going to look
after our food and drink, and even our clothing. He makes such
statements as "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy 
laden, and I will give you rest," and yet we keep our problems and
worries to ourselves, and we are borne down by them and defeated 
by them, and get anxious about things. He has told us that if we are
thirsting in any respect we can go to Him, and He has assured us
that whosoever comes to Him will never thirst, and that he that 
eats of the bread that He shall give shall never hunger. He has
promised to give us "a well of water springing up into everlasting
life" so that we shall never thirst. But we do not believe Him. Take 
all these statements He made when He was here on earth, the words
He addressed to the people around Him; they are all  meant for us.
They are meant for us today as definitely as when He first uttered 
them, and so also are all the astounding statements in the Epistles.
The trouble is that we do not believe Him. That is the ultimate 
trouble. "Little faith" does not really take the Scripture as it is and
believe it and live by it and apply it.
Prayer: Lord, may I never take the truth of thy word for granted or
overlook its vital power in my life. Strengthen my faith so that I 
will not only believe in Thee, but also apply Thy truth to my life and
live by it daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment