Monday 20 March 2017

Twenty-four hours in Hell!

~  ~  ~  ~
 
(James Smith, "ANTIDOTES!" 1858)
"Why should any living man complain?" Lamentations 3:39
Occasionally, I am tempted to complain of my hard lot--and think myself harshly dealt with. Ingratitude rises and works in my heart. This always makes me wretched. I then find it profitable to look down into Hell--and realize its horrors and agonies as my just deservings.
If anyone ever deserved to go to Hell--I did!
If justice was ever honored in a sinner's damnation--it would have been in mine!
If anyone was ever saved by grace alone--I am the man!
Shall I then, who deserve to be in Hell--but am not;
shall I, who am an heir of Heavenly glory--though no one ever deserved it less;
shall I, because of a few trials, troubles, and disappointments, or because I have rather a heavy cross to carry--shall I dare to murmur, or fret, or complain, or think myself harshly dealt with?
Shocking inconsistency!
What are my present pains or sufferings--compared with the Hell that I deserve!
All the afflictions that I am called to endure here on earth--cannot be compared with only twenty-four hours in Hell! And yet my desert is, not to be in Hell for a few hours--but forever! Surely every lost soul, every damned spirit--will be ready to upbraid me--if I complain of my present lot! What base gratitude--if I do not praise the Lord with joyful lips, for His rich, free, and sovereign grace!
O my soul, whenever I am tempted to complain of my difficult lot--think of my deservings! Think of what would have been my eternal doom--if God had not saved me by His sovereign grace!
Yes, I do find that looking down into Hell . . .
  silences my complaints,
  awakens my gratitude, and
  humbles me in the dust before my God!
   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment