Wednesday 7 September 2011

A friend whose door is always open!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(John MacDuff, "Brief Thoughts for the Followers of Jesus" 1855)

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

A Friend! How endearing the title! There is music in the very sound. But if there is something so sweet and precious in having an earthly friend--then what is it to have a Heavenly one! It is of such, that the spouse is here speaking, even of Him who is the chief among ten thousand, and the altogether lovely one! O my soul, let me think of the Lord Jesus as my friend--
my true friend,
my loving friend,
my faithful friend,
my powerful friend,
my seasonable friend,
my unchanging friend,
my friend who sticks closer than a brother,
my friend who loves me at all times, and on all occasions!

In the enjoyment of the Savior's friendship, there are many precious privileges involved. One is, freedom of access to Him at all seasons, and under all circumstances. In our fellowship with strangers, it is proper that some degree of reserve should be maintained. But it is not so with a well-known and thoroughly tested friend--his heart and home are always open! Just so, Jesus is always ready to receive us, just as we are--guilty, polluted, and wretched!

Christian, the Lord Jesus is a friend whose door is always open! Knock whenever you will--you are sure to be welcome. It is true--He sits upon a throne--but it is the throne of grace; and you are called upon to approach it, not in a spirit of fear and trembling--but with filial confidence, that you may receive from His fullness, and find grace to help in time of need.

O my soul, what a friend have you in Christ!

"I have called you friends!"
John 15:15


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment