Saturday 10 September 2011

Can Jesus delight in such worms?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


(James Smith, "The Love of Christ! The Fullness, Freeness, and Immutability of the Savior's Grace Displayed!")

Jesus presents Himself unto us as the Bridegroom of our souls. He says, "I will betroth you to Me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord!" He here promises to bring us into the nearest possible union. He becomes one with us. He says, "I will be your portion--and you shall be My possession!"

He manifests His beauties--to attract us,
He sends His Spirit--to prepare us,
He gives His sweet gospel--to allure us,
He puts forth His power and draws us--and then makes Himself over to us in an everlasting covenant.

He calls us by every sweet appellation, such as "My beloved, My dove, My sister, My darling, My flawless one, My delight, My spouse!" (Song of Songs 5:2)

He gives us . . .
His person,
His unsearchable riches, and
a share in His eternal glories and honors!

He loves us most tenderly, constantly, and prudently.

He assures us . . .
that He will never leave us,
that He will come and commune with us,
and that He will withhold no good thing from us!

He says, "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed--yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed--says the Lord, who has compassion on you!" "No weapon formed against you shall prosper. For your Maker is your Husband--the Lord Almighty is His name!"

"As a bridegroom rejoices over his bride--so will your God rejoice over you! I will take delight in My people!" What love is here!

Can Jesus delight in such worms?

Can He rejoice over such unworthy creatures?

Can He enter into a marriage contract with such depraved beings?

Yes! He loved His Church and gave Himself for it! He has redeemed it unto Himself by His blood--and will everlastingly rejoice over it, to bless it and honor it!

Jesus, the Heavenly Lover, gave
His life, my wretched soul to save!
Resolved to make His mercy known,
He kindly claims me for His own!

Lost in astonishment, I see
Jesus, Your boundless love to me!
With sin and self, I freely part,
And gladly yield to You, my heart!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment