Thursday 29 October 2015

The most wicked man, the most consummate hypocrite I ever knew!

   ~ ~ ~ ~

(George Everard, "Help on the Way to the Better Land!" 1873)

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not love" (one of the blessed graces of the Spirit), "I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." 1 Corinthians 13:1

There may be the gift of utterance--and no spiritual life. Balaam, and Judas, and multitudes beside have had this--and yet have been dead in trespasses and sins.

Men may offer fine prayers before others--men may preach eloquent sermons--and yet, like Judas, be far from God!

The most wicked man, the most consummate hypocrite I ever knew--was one of the most gifted preachers, and could electrify an audience by his persuasive oratory!

"Many will say to me on that day: 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly: 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'" Matthew 7:22-23
~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment