Wednesday 2 April 2014

Night after night my feet are begrimed and soiled!

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet" John 13:10

Every disciple of Christ walks through the hot and dusty ways of this world. I spend my Christian life in hostile surroundings. When saved, I do not go at once to be with my Lord in heavenly glory. He leaves me here on earth for my own discipline, and for the benefit of others around me. So I wrestle on against storm and wind and tide!

Every disciple contracts defilement in his walk through the world. I am readily beguiled. My firmest purposes are shaken. Along the road, there are innumerable obstacles and relentless enemies. Night after night my feet are begrimed and soiled! Am I to despair then?

No, for Christ will cleanse His disciples. I have been bathed in the morning of my new life--I have passed through the great spiritual change--I have been fully forgiven.

But I need still to have my feet washed. When I come in at night from the fierce sun, and the dusty highway, and the jostling crowd, with mind chafed and disturbed--He waits to lead me into His secret place and to refresh and heal me.

Ah, I scarcely can tell which I should admire most:
Jesus' passion for me--or His patience with me;
His suffering for me--or His longsuffering with me!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment