Sunday 6 October 2013

How can I avoid the annoyances which continually harass me?

  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~



(J.R. Miller, "Help for the Day")

The true victory is not found in escaping or evading trials--but in rightly meeting and enduring them.

The questions should not be, "How can I get out of these trials? How can I get into a place where there shall be no irritations, nothing to try my temper, or put my patience to the test? How can I avoid the annoyances which continually harass me?"

There is nothing noble in such living. The soldier who flees when he smells the battle is no hero; he is a coward.

The questions should rather be: "How can I pass through these trying experiences--and not fail as a Christian? How can I endure these struggles--and not suffer defeat? How can I live amid these provocations, these reproaches and testings of my temper--and yet live sweetly, not speaking harshly, bearing injuries meekly, returning gentle answers to insulting words?"

"Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness." Colossians 3:12-14

    ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment