Wednesday 27 October 2010

Romans 10:19-21

A Study of The Book of Romans

Lesson 75 Chapter 10:19 – 21

By Pastor Randy Johnson

  1. Verse 19 “But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.”
    1. What should have Israel known? They should have known a lot of things, they rejected Christ, they rejected the gospel, and they rejected the fact that God was going to save and use Gentiles, but they should have known, just as many Gentiles should know a lot of things today.

a. This is a quote from Deuteronomy 32:21 “They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.”

b. It is true that the Gentile people are not a single Nation, but everyone other than the Israelites is Gentile therefore lumping them all together.

c. Lets not forget God also said He was going to use the Heathens or Gentiles in Malachi 1:11 “For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.”

d. The problem with the Jews was that God intended to save and use the Gentiles. But look whom God is using today to carry and preach His gospel message.

e. God never does anything without a purpose, and I believe He done this to draw Israel back to Him, however it has not yet worked and God knew it would not work. He uses thing in our lives to draw us back, however sometimes it does not work, but again He knows it is not going to work.

    1. “…I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.” Here God said He chose to do this to anger them to return to them. Wouldn’t it anger us Gentiles if God chose to use someone else to carry His word and to preach the gospel?
    2. So the question is “…Did not Israel know…” well they should have, this is proof that people only hear what they choose to hear.
  1. Verse 20 “But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.”
    1. First it was Moses now it is Isaiah. Isaiah 65:1 “I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.”
    2. Things were going to make an about face, those that sought Him would seek Him no more and them that never sought Him would now seek Him, amazing how God works.
    3. Lets look at some more if Isaiah 65:2 - 3 “I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; (3.) A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face...”
    4. Christians seek God, the last absolutely do not but Christians absolutely do and should.

a. Hebrews 11:6 “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”

b. God made the same promise to Israel . 1 Chronicles 28:8-9 “Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever. (9.) And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.”

c. God has always made this known to all His people. Luke 11:9 “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”

  1. Verse 21 “But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.”
    1. Every time God gave His beloved hand to Israel they bit it.
    2. “…All day long…” means continually. Albert Barns adds “without intermission; implying that their acts of rebellion were not momentary; but that this was the established character of the people.”
    3. “…a disobedient and gainsaying people.” – every time, they never obeyed God neither did they seek to do His will. Christians are different, we seek His will and desire to do His blessed will.
    4. The Life Application Bible Commentary adds - The disobedience of Israel was judged by God's welcome to the Gentiles (even though that was in his plan all along). But he will still accept his chosen people if they will only return to him. He remains faithful to his promises to his people, even though they have been unfaithful to him. God still holds out his hands.
    5. The Wesley Commentary adds – “An unbelieving and gainsaying people - Just opposite to those who believed with their hearts, and made confession with their mouths.”

No comments:

Post a Comment