Wednesday 25 April 2018

Because the Lord loves you


   ~  ~  ~  ~


(Letters of John Newton)

"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." Hebrews 12:6

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent." Revelation 3:19

My Dear Friend,
Because the Lord loves you--He appoints trials for you. Like most effectual medicines, they are neither pleasant to the taste nor in their operation, when first taken--but afterwards they yield a harvest of righteousness and peace. He sends them not for His own pleasure, but for our profit.

He could relieve you in a moment, but He does not. The plain inference is, that it is good, it is best for us to be afflicted!

I have had my trials, and I can from experience bear testimony to His all-sufficiency and faithfulness.

He does all things well. How can He who is infinitely wise and good, do otherwise?

"My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth." Proverbs 3:11-12

   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment