Thursday 1 February 2018

Trials are medicinal!

  ~  ~  ~  ~


(John Newton)

Trials are medicinal. They are designed by God to correct or to restrain or to cure--the maladies of our souls.

Though He puts forth His hand, and seems to threaten our dearest comforts--yet when we remember that it is His hand, when we consider that it is His design, His love, His wisdom, and His power--we cannot refuse to trust Him!

Every affliction in the life of the believer--is designed by God and sovereignly implemented by Him.

"Before I was afflicted I went astray--but now I obey Your Word!" Psalm 119:67

"It was good for me to be afflicted--so that I might learn Your decrees." Psalm 119:71

"I know, O LORD, that your laws are righteous, and in faithfulness You have afflicted me." Psalm 119:75

Christ's suffering was punitive--the Christian's suffering is restorative.
The cup which Christ drank, was filled with Divine wrath--the cup of suffering which God calls His children to drink, is only medicinal to promote their chief good.

Like heavy weights on a grandfather clock--trials are necessary for the Christian life to operate properly.
God will allow nothing to grieve us--but what He intends to employ as means for our greater advantage.


   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment