Tuesday 13 June 2017

I may express all my complaints in one short sentence

   ~  ~  ~  ~

(John Newton's Letters)

My recent journey was very pleasant--but I ought to wish that it was profitable. I have had long experience how little I am able to improve by the most desirable advantages--and how little I am affected by a combination of the greatest mercies.

I may express all my complaints in one short sentence: "I am a poor creature!"
And all my hopes and comforts may be summed up as briefly, by saying: "I have a rich and gracious Savior!"

Full as I am in myself of inconsistencies and conflicts--I have in Him, a measure of peace. He found me in a waste howling wilderness--and He redeemed me from the house of misery and bondage. And though I have been ungrateful and perverse--He has not yet forsaken me--and never will. He is able to hold even me up--to pity, support and supply me to the end of life.

How suitable a Savior! He is made all things to those who have nothing--and is engaged to help those who can do nothing.
"Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost, those who come to God through Him--since He always lives to make intercession for them!" Hebrews 7:25
   ~  ~  ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment