Saturday 23 May 2015

Wash me, gracious Lord!

   ~ ~ ~ ~


(
John MacDuff, "Evening Incense" 1856)

O my God, I desire to approach the footstool of Your throne of grace. Glory be to Your holy name that I can enjoy freedom of access into Your presence, and with the confidence of Your child, unburden and unbosom to You . . .
all my needs and sins,
all my sorrows and infirmities,
all my perplexities and cares.

Lord, how unworthy I am of the least of all Your mercies! What righteous cause have You to cut me down as a cumberer of the ground. How cold my love, how infrequent my prayers! How full is my heart, of pride and vain-glory, self and sin! How little have I habitually realized Your nearness, and sought Your favor as my chief good! There is enough of coldness and formality in my best approaches to Your footstool--to lead You in Your wrath to spurn me forever away!

Let me see all my sin--in the light of Calvary's cross!

I cast myself as a worthless unworthy sinner, at the feet of Jesus. I need daily, hourly washing at that fountain which He has opened for sin and for uncleanness. Wash me, gracious Lord--fully, freely, and forever. Let me know the blessedness of "no condemnation." I come with all the great burden of my great guilt--to my great Savior! I seek to bring the unrighteousness of an unworthy creature--to the infinite righteousness and everlasting faithfulness of my loving Redeemer.

You have borne with all my obstinacy, all my perverseness, and waywardness, and ingratitude. I am at this hour, the monument of a divine love--as wondrous, as it is undeserved.

Where would I have been, Blessed Jesus--but for You! All that I am, and all I have--I owe to Your free, sovereign, unmerited grace!

Whom have I in Heaven but You--and there is none in all the earth I desire besides You. You alone can fill up the aching voids of my heart. In vain can I look to a transient world, or to the perishable creature--for solid peace and permanent enjoyment. You are the only refuge for my sin-stricken, woe-worn spirit.

I rejoice in the inexhaustible riches treasured up in You--that Your fullness is adequate to supply all my necessities; and out of that fullness I may still continue receiving, and that forever and ever!
~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment