Friday 21 May 2010

The Power within Redeemed Earthen Vessels

Day By Day By Grace

Bob Hoekstra

May 21, 2010


But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of
the power may be of God and not of us. (2 Corinthians 4:7)

In our previous meditation on this same verse, we saw that God has
placed extraordinary heavenly treasure in ordinary earthen vessels.
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels." This is true of every
person who has been redeemed by the blood of Christ. The Lord has
arranged it this way so that the vessels (you and I) must rely upon the
treasure (Jesus Christ), not upon ourselves: "that the excellence of
the power may be of God and not of us." Also, this arrangement is to
bring attention and glory to the Lord, not to the vessels.

The Lord is the treasure in the "clay pot" of our redeemed humanity. He
is to be the "excellent power" in our lives. He is the one we are to
trust in as our strength for daily living. When the battles become
fierce, trust in the Lord. "You have armed me with strength for the
battle" (Psalm 18:39). When we need patience or endurance, trust in the
Lord: "Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power,
for all patience and longsuffering with joy" (Colossians 1:11). When we
need strength for our latter years, trust in the Lord. "The LORD has
kept me alive...here I am this day, eighty-five years old...yet I am as
strong this day as I was on the day that Moses sent me" (Joshua
14:10-11). Even in times of extreme personal weakness, His strength can
be especially apparent. "I will rather boast in my infirmities, that
the power of Christ may rest upon me...For when I am weak, then I am
strong" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

The temptation is to trust in our "sturdy structure" (or in those who
claim to be able to strengthen or reinforce weak vessels). Our personal
resources will fail, but the Lord who dwells in our hearts will not
fail. "My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26). The world system with all of its
impressive riches calls us to place our confidence in its resources.
The Lord warns us that such misplaced trust becomes our downfall. "Woe
to the rebellious children...who...go down to Egypt...to strengthen
themselves in the strength of Pharaoh...the strength of Pharaoh shall
be your shame" (Isaiah 30:1-3).

We are to trust the Lord to be our strength. "The LORD is my strength
and my shield" (Psalm 28:7a). Then, we are to give the Lord glory for
the strength He supplies. "My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise
Him" (Psalm 28:7b).

O Lord, the strength of my life, forgive me for relying upon myself and
for looking to worldly resources. I want to place all of my trust in
Jesus, the treasure who lives within me. May all glory be unto Him, in
His mighty name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment