Wednesday 14 April 2010

The Flesh and the Spiritual

A Study of The Book of Romans

From Pastor Randy Johnson

Lesson 47 Chapter 7:18 – 21

  1. Romans 7:18 “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” – Like last week it seems that Paul is babbling nonsense however like last week this is some very wonderful points.
    1. Verse 18 “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing…”

a. Paul here is still speaking of the two “I’s” The I flesh and the I spiritual man. Paul’s main point here is even though we are saved we are still in the flesh and even though we have a new spiritual man we still have the “old man” and even though we are saved the old man is still the old man. And it is still a constant battle within us to do right.

b. This is a great proof of “total depravity” the old nature was so corrupt that even in salvation it still wants us to do evil, and it is a constant battle to do right.

c. Paul says “…in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing…” and never will, the only good in us is Christ Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and our new nature. This is why in death or in the rapture it will be most wonderful to leave the old man behind.

d. This was not one of Paul’s humble moments, he meant exactly what he said, “…in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing…”

e. Genesis 6:5 “And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”

f.

    1. Verse 18 “…for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.”

a. This shows the strength of the old nature and the weakness of the new nature. Paul says “…for to will is present with me…” this is the new nature but also notice Paul ended verse 18 with this “…how to perform that which is good I find not.” And he will not within himself, but through Christ all things are possible even overriding the old man. Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” - Philippians 2:13 “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” – Both are the work of God.

b. To work righteousness is a honor and privilege that God gives to His servants, we are not good because we are good we are good because God has made us good. And this is in every area.

c. Let us not forget Paul said “…in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing…” and that is saved or lost, unless God works the good. Our new nature on its own will not override the evil old nature.

  1. Verse 19 “For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.”
    1. This is basically what he said in verse 15 “For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.” Galatians 5:17 “For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.”
    2. The power to do right is simply not within us, so at times we find ourselves doing wrong, the power is in Christ and not us. Left to ourselves we will always choose wrong this is why our closeness to our Saviour is so important. Even Paul said left to my own self I will choose wrong, this is why Paul always thanked God for everything.
    3. Therefore often did what he would not, and what he would he did not.
    4. Verse 20 “Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.” This is the same as Verse 17 “Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.” There is evil in all of us because of the old man and sometimes it is hard to do what is right, again we must continually lean on the real strength that is with in us which is Christ Jesus.
  2. Verse 21 “I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.”
    1. About the word “law” The Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words defines it - “of a force or influence impelling to action” – Paul refers this word “law or force of the old man influencing his actions” making it difficult to do the right thing.
    2. It is like a battle but Paul calls it a force within him. We also have these battles within ourselves.
    3. The Psalmist wrote Psalms 65:3 “Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.” The thought here is our old man is strong and always with us, and it is a battle within to do evil rather than right, we must pray that God “…purge them away.” As the Psalmist said.
  3. Next Week we will look at the inward man or the spiritual man.

No comments:

Post a Comment