Monday 1 June 2009

The secret of being content!

(Letters of John Newton)
"Godliness with contentment is great gain!" 1 Timothy 6:6A
ugust 17, 1776

My dear friend,

It befits every Christian to say--It is not necessary for me to be rich--or what the world accounts wise. It is not necessary for me to be healthy--or admired by my fellow-worms. It is not necessary for me to pass through life in a state of prosperity and outward comfort. These things may be, or they may not be--as the Lord in His wisdom shall appoint them for me. But it is necessary for me to be humble and spiritual, to seek communion with God, to adorn my profession of the Gospel, and to yield submissively to His disposal, in whatever way, whether of service or suffering--that He shall be pleased to call me to glorify Him in this world. It is not necessary for me to live long--but highly expedient that while I do live--I should live unto Him! Here then, I would bound my desires; and here, having His Word for my rule, I am secured from asking amiss. Let me have His presence, wisdom to know my calling, and opportunities and faithfulness to improve them; and as to the rest, Lord, help me to sincerely pray,
Whatever You will,
whenever You will, and
however You will.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want!" Philippians 4:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment