Monday 1 June 2009

Addicted to the Ministry

From the Pastor: Dr. M. J. Seymour, Sr.

Referring to the house of Stephanas, the Apostle Paul wrote: “...they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints...” (I Cor. 16:15) He also wrote to the church at Corinth that he was glad that Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus came “for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied. For they refreshed my spirit and your’s...” (I Cor 16:17-18)
It is a wonderful loveliness to behold brothers and sisters in Christ addicted to ministering to other brothers and sisters in Christ. We are all familiar with the horrible addictions of drugs, of alcohol and such like. However, in the Scriptures we are shown a heaven sent, gracious addiction - ministering to the saints. Oh, I would to God that this addiction would spread like wildfire among the Lord’s churches. There is a desperate need for this type of addiction.
The word “ministry or ministering” means to render service, or to give care to someone. It is the gracious, loving tender care one precious saint physically or spiritually gives to another saint in need of uplifting. This is an extremely rare and valuable gift of grace. Its treasure is far beyond the wealth of earthly man. It is brotherly love in action, an outpouring of the love of God toward others.
In this generation of self-esteem, the majority of folks are esteeming themselves above all others. It is a “what’s in it for me” and “you owe it to me” society. Everyone wants to be the one that others lift up and serve. “And if you don’t play it my way, I’ll take my marbles and go home.” Self-centeredness has become a massive, destructive, and infectious plague upon many of the Lord’s churches. “Me for me and all for me” seems to be the order of the day amongst the saints. “God, here am I, use me” are rare words today. God save us from ourselves!
True Biblical Christ-likeness compels the saints to give themselves for the sake of others. An addiction only desires to satisfy its cravings with a sufficient amount of that to which it is addicted. Thus, if one were addicted to the ministry of the saints, there would be no mountain too high, no sea too wide, and no “self” too big to satisfy the addiction of ministering to the brethren. Ministering to the saints is a holy addiction enjoyed by few believers. It ought not to be so, brethren. To what are you addicted?

No comments:

Post a Comment