Monday 19 March 2018

The sum of my complaints amounts to this!


   ~  ~  ~  ~


(Letters of John Newton)

"Oh, what a wretched man I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?" Romans 7:24

I see much daily cause for humiliation--whether I look backward or inward. The sum of my complaints amounts to this--that I am a sick sinner, diseased in every part. I am burdened with a body of sin and death.

But I have a little book, which I am enabled to believe is the sure Word of God. The doctrines and promises I meet with in it, which we call the gospel, exactly suit my needs--and the temper and conduct it is designed to form, agrees with my leading desires.

I was once far otherwise minded, and would doubtless have remained so--had not almighty power and sovereign mercy softened my heart. I would therefore praise Him for what he has done, and wait upon Him to do more, for I can do nothing for myself. In the mean time, instead of complaining--I would try to be thankful.

If He has begun a good work, I dare not indulge a doubt of His carrying it on to completion. If He who is the infallible Physician has undertaken my case--I shall not die but live, and declare the works of the Lord!

   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment