Wednesday 16 November 2016

Short pithy gems from John Newton!

   ~  ~  ~  ~
 
May we sit at the foot of the cross--and there learn . . .
  what sin has done,
  what justice has done,
  and what love has done!


   ~  ~  ~  ~
I am persuaded that love and humility are the highest attainments in the school of Christ--and the brightest evidences that He is indeed our Master!
   ~  ~  ~  ~
My grand point in preaching, is to break the hard heart--and to heal the broken one!
   ~  ~  ~  ~


I am not what I ought to be. Ah! How imperfect and deficient!
I am not what I wish to be. I would abhor what is evil, and cleave to what is good.
I am not what I hope to be. Soon, soon, I shall put off mortality--and with mortality, all sin and imperfection.
Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be--I can truly say that I am not what I once was--a slave to sin and Satan. And I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God, I am what I am!"


   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment