Saturday 15 October 2016

Religion, if you please, is now big business!

   ~  ~  ~  ~


      (A.W. Tozer)

Religion, if you please, is now big business. A countless number of amusements flourish everywhere, paid for by the consecrated tithes of people who ought to know better.

Christianity has seen a steady rise of religious entertainment as a source of mental pleasure. God's people have turned to the amusements of the world to try to squeeze a bit of juice out of them for the relief of their dry and joyless hearts.

I want to tell you something. If I want to see a show--I know where I can see a good one put on by top flight actors who know what they are doing. If I want a show--I'll go down to a theater and see a show hot out of Hollywood by men and women who are artists in their field. I will not go to a church and see a lot of ham actors putting on a home talent show. And yet, that's where we are in evangelical circles. We've got more show in evangelical circles than anywhere else. I would not give a plug nickel for the whole business of it!

The church is not a religious theater
to provide a place for amateur entertainers to display their talents.
   ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment