Wednesday 15 October 2014

A holy man will follow after humility

   ~ ~ ~ ~


(J.C. Ryle, "Holiness, Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots")

A holy man will follow after humility
. He will desire, in lowliness of mind, to esteem all others better than himself. He will see more evil in his own heart--than in any other in the world.

He will understand something of Abraham's feeling, when he says, "I am dust and ashes!"

And Jacob's feeling, when he says, "I am unworthy of the least of all Your mercies!"

And Job's feeling, when he says, "Behold! I am vile!"

And Paul's feeling, when he says, "I am the chief of sinners!"

Holy John Bradford, that faithful martyr of Christ, would sometimes finish his letters with these words: "A most miserable sinner, John Bradford."

The godly William Grimshaw's last words, when he lay on his deathbed, were these: "Here goes an unprofitable servant!"
"By the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corinthians 15:10
~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment