Thursday 28 August 2014

The song of the Lamb!

   ~ ~ ~ ~

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

"They sang the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb!" Revelation 15:3

Moses and Jesus join in teaching me the song of the redeemed children in God's family.

Moses cannot lead me so far as Jesus can. My Savior and Master gives breadth and length and depth and height to the melody. But the one song is the precursor of the other. Moses points me forward to the slain Lamb--and Christ acknowledges and honors the servant Moses; and I learn the doxologies both of the servant and of the Son.

The song of Mosesis the song of emancipation. Broken are the fetters of Egyptian bondage!

And it is the song of guidance. It celebrates the life of marching and encamping, over which the mercy and the wisdom and the omnipotence of the Lord preside.

And it is the song of inheritance. "Happy are you, O Israel!" the brave voice cried, on the borders of the land of brooks of water and wheat and barley and oil olive and honey.

The song of Moses is pregnant and rich for me. I hope I am learning more fully and perfectly, such chords and octaves as these. Do I commemorate the goodness of the God, Who discovered me in the prison of shame and fear and helplessness and despair--and Who brought me forth by the blood-shedding of His Son, and the mightiness of His Holy Spirit? Have I my testimony to bear to Him Who rules over all the wilderness experiences of my history? Can I speak of the treasures of His wealthy land?

The song of the Lamb has new elements of delightfulness and wonder!

It tells of the Crucified and slain Lamb. His cruel wounds are healed--but the scars are left as mementos of His anguish and shame!

It tells of the Royal Lamb in the midst of the throne--the sovereign Governor, Controller and Lord of all.

It tells of the Shepherd Lamb, feeding His flock and leading it to living fountains of waters.

It tells of the Conquering Lamb who shall overcome all the enemies of His redeemed people!

Is this Lamb the theme of the hymns which captivate and satisfy me most?


The Lamb assumed my sin and misery, and reaped the bitter harvest I had sown.

The Lamb governs His great world in my behalf--and directs and curbs the storms within my soul.

The Lamb conducts me by the best paths, and supplies my needs, and shelters me from every peril.

The Lamb is lionlike and courageous, and will finally slay my craftiest and strongest enemies, and will rid me of the besetting sins which torment me most!

I would complete the song of Moses the servant, with the song of Jesus the Lamb!
~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment