Tuesday 26 March 2013

Separating the precious from the vile


“That ye may know how that the Lord doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.” Exodus 11:7
Suggested Further Reading: Ephesians 4:17-32
A stern rough argument might move us to be separate from the world. But once again, how is it possible for us to honour Jesus Christ, while there is no difference between us and the world? I can imagine that a man may not profess to be a Christian, and yet he may honour his master; that however is a matter of imagination, I do not know of an instance; but I cannot imagine a man professing to be a Christian, and then acting as the world acts, and yet honouring Christ. Methinks I see my Master now; he stands before me. He has more than those five blessed wounds. I see his hands running with blood. “My Master! My Master!” I cry, “where didst thou get those wounds? Those are not the piercings of the nails, nor the gash of the spear-thrust; whence come those wounds?” I hear him mournfully reply, “These are the wounds which I have received in the house of my friends; such-and-such a Christian fell, such-and-such a disciple followed me afar off, and at last Peter-like denied me altogether. Such a one of my children is covetous, such another of them is proud, such another has taken his neighbour by the throat, and said, “Pay me what thou owest,” and I have been wounded in the house of my friends.” O, blessed Jesus, forgive us, forgive us, and give us thy grace that we may do so no more, for we would follow thee whithersoever thou goest; thou knowest Lord we would be thine, we would honour thee and not grieve thee. O give us now of thine own Spirit, that we may come out from the world and be like thyself,—holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners.
For meditation: Does the Lord have to ask you “Will ye also go away?” May he enable us to reply as Simon Peter did (John 6:67-69).
Sermon no. 305
26 March (Preached 25 March 1860)
C.H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment