Monday 19 December 2011

Death is a change of company



(Thomas Brooks, "A Believer's Last Day, His Best Day")

"I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far!" Philippians 1:23

A believer's last day is his best day! Death is a change of company. In this world, the godliest man must live with the wicked, and converse with the wicked, etc. This is a part of their misery; it is their Hell on this side Heaven! This worked upon the heart of David: "Woe to me that I dwell in Meshech, that I live among the tents of Kedar!" Psalm 120:5

I have read of a godly woman, who, being near death, cried out, "O Lord, do not let me go to Hell where the wicked are, for You know that I never loved their company while in this life!"

"Oh, that I had in the desert, a lodging place for travelers--so that I might leave my people and go away from them; for they are all adulterers, a crowd of unfaithful people!" Jeremiah 9:2

And this was that which vexed and tore Lot's righteous soul, "Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)." 2 Peter 2:7-8

Oh, but death is a change of company. A godly man does but change the company of profane people, of vile people, etc.--for the company of God and angels; and the company of weak Christians--for the company of just men made perfect.

"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful--but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:27

"Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." Revelation 22:15

No comments:

Post a Comment