Friday 11 November 2011

Reader, are you taught of God?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(James Smith, "Manna in the Wilderness" 1863)

"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you--and leads you along the paths you should follow." Isaiah 48:17

God teaches all of His people the true nature, and awful consequences of sin--and instructs them "to flee from the wrath to come." His teaching makes them wise unto salvation--and holy in heart and life. Under His instructions, they . . .
withdraw from the world,
enjoy private devotion,
unite with the saints, and
abound in every good work.

"Behold, God is exalted in His power. Who is a teacher like Him?" Job 36:22. The truth which he unfolds to the understanding--He impresses upon the heart. His scholars learn to imitate Him.

Untaught by Him, we are . . .
vain, ignorant, and wicked;
estranged from God, and
hastening to eternal perdition!

To His divine teaching--we owe all that we know of self, sin, salvation, and eternal felicity.

He teaches freely and variously--but always effectually.

His children cry, "Teach me to do Your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing!" Psalm 143:10. He graciously answers, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go! I will guide you with My eye." Psalm 32:8

Reader, are you taught of God? Has he taught you . . .
to hate sin--and flee from it,
to know Christ--and love Him,
to discover the beauty of holiness--and pant to possess it?

"Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior!" Psalm 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment