Monday 14 November 2011

The cross of our Lord Jesus Christ!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~



(James Smith, "Manna in the Wilderness" 1863)

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world!" Galatians 6:14

In the cross we see . . .
the rights of divine justice maintained,
the designs of divine mercy revealed;
sin appearing exceedingly sinful;
the law magnified and honored, and
the law-breaker pardoned and delivered!

At the cross, God and sinners meet--and a reconciliation takes place.
Here, man drops the weapons of rebellion--and God lays aside the sword of divine displeasure.
Here, the works of Satan are destroyed--and the gates of paradise are thrown open.
Here, the creditor is discharged, his every crime is atoned for--and everlasting righteousness is completed!
Here, God is "just, and the justifier of the one who believes in Jesus."

At the cross . . .
mercy takes the throne,
justice guards her rights,
holiness maintains her prerogative,
the sinner has hope, and
iniquity is forever atoned for!

At the cross . . .
we are stripped of self--and clothed with Christ;
we lose our fears--and obtain the sweetest comforts;
we find paradise restored--and have a foretaste of glory;
Jehovah is revealed as the sinner's friend;
death is destroyed as the believer's foe;
Satan's . . .
folly is published,
designs are frustrated, and
character is exposed to perpetual shame.

At the cross . . .
all the truths of revelation center,
all the perfections of Deity unite,
and the way to eternal life is opened!

The Cross of Jesus! May it be . . .
the emblem of my faith,
the subject of my song,
the antidote of my sorrows,
and the glory of my soul!

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world!" Galatians 6:14

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment