Friday 26 November 2010

I am somewhat like that bird!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(James Smith, "Sighing for Jesus!" 1858)

"As the deer pants for streams of water--so my soul pants for you, O God! My soul thirsts for God, for the living God! When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 42:1-2

I have just been reading of the last days of a true believer, and his whole dying experience was comprehended in one sentence, "I am sighing for Jesus!" He did not sigh for life, nor for ease--but he was sighing for Jesus.

I cannot help observing, how much of my experience now, is expressed in those words, "I am sighing for Jesus." Yes, yes, I can do without riches, or fame, or the honor which man confers. I am pretty well content with what providence sends me--and yet I often sigh, and sigh deeply too. Some would think me unhappy--but I am not. Some may conclude I am discontented with my situation in life--but I am not. Yet I sigh--I often sigh.

I have read of a bird, which if caught and caged--never ceases to sigh, until it obtains its liberty, or dies. I am somewhat like that bird, and I expect I shall continue to sigh--until I obtain my desire.

I have had a glimpse of Jesus--and I sigh for a full view of Him.

I have tasted the sweetness of communion with Him--and I sigh for uninterrupted fellowship.

I have felt a little of the cleansing influence of His precious blood, and Holy Spirit--and I sigh for a thorough cleansing, that I may be perfectly and forever holy.

I sigh for Jesus--that I may . . .
know Him more perfectly,
love Him more entirely, and
enjoy Him uninterruptedly!

I sigh to be exactly like Jesus!

I sigh to be forever with Jesus!

I believe that if I were just like Him, and always with Him--that I would sigh no more; and I think that nothing else will put a complete stop to my sighing.

Yes, the day is coming, and it may be very near--when the days of my mourning will be ended, and when I shall heave the last sigh, and begin the never-ending song! My sorrows will soon end, and my sighing will forever cease! I shall soon be with Jesus, like Jesus, and everlastingly employed in praising Jesus! And then, I shall sigh no more!

"The ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away!" Isaiah 51:11

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment