Saturday 4 July 2015

My God! the eternal pit has closed upon them forever!

   ~ ~ ~ ~


(Edward D. Griffin, "The Watchman" 1839)

"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from Me." Ezekiel 33:7

Standing on my watch-tower I am commanded that if I see anything of evil coming, to give warning. I solemnly declare that I plainly see evil approaching; I see a storm collecting in the heavens; I perceive the commotion of the troubled elements; I hear the roar of a distant wind--heaven and earth seem mingled in the conflict--and I cry to those for whom I watch, "A storm! A storm! Get into the Ark--or you are swept away!"
Oh! what is it I see next? I see a world convulsed and falling to ruins--the sea burning like oil--nations rising from under ground--the sun falling--the damned in chains before the judgment bar of God, and some of my poor hearers among them! I see them cast from the battlements of the judgment scene! My God! the eternal pit has closed upon them forever!

"Say to them: As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?" Ezekiel 33:11
~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment