Saturday 15 November 2014

Storms and tempests, whirlwinds and hurricanes!

   ~ ~ ~ ~

(James Meikle, "Converse with the Unseen World")

"I am the man who has seen affliction!"Lamentations 3:1

Like the rest of Adam's discontented family, I am often . . .
grumbling at my griefs,
complaining of my afflictions, and
on the brink of quarreling at the conduct of Providence itself!

To be without afflictions is impossible here below, where man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward. Not to feel when afflicted, is a stoical, impious stupidity. But to sink under troubles of any kind, is beneath the character of the Christian. Yet, when I reflect on that eternity of bliss which is before me, on that world of glory of which I am an heir--I wonder that my afflictions are not more.

Is it too much for me to stumble among the 'rough stones of adversity'--to have my flesh pricked with the 'thorns of trouble'--who shall so soon walk the golden streets of Heaven, and wear a crown of immortal glory?

Though the whole earth should rise up against me--if Heaven, and the God of Heaven are for me--I am in perfect safety in the midst of all the storms and tempests, whirlwinds and hurricanes which can blow!

"Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can affliction or anguish or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that . . .
neither death nor life,
nor angels nor rulers,
nor things present,
nor things to come,
nor powers,
nor height,
nor depth,
nor any other created thing,
can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord!" Romans 8:35-39
~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment